Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2011-12-14

Rib injury

Dear Doc

2 days ago, I fell with a direct blow against my son''s knee. I felt my rib ''crack''? It is of course very painful. I suspect that I either cracked or fractured a rib or two. It hurts to move/breathe and if I touch my rib it is very painful. We were in another province on holiday and returned today. I have been using Mypaid every 6 hours and this morning also took a celebrex. That really helped and made me feel a lot more comfortable provided I sit still.
I am prone to a irritable stomach if I use ant inlfammatories and I have altosec that I used previously. When and how often do I need to take the altosec and how long can I safely take the anti inflammatories. And lastly, how long will it remain so painful?

You should take Altosec for the next month and the anti-inflammatory medication, like Clebrex, can be taken once daily for ten days. You can also take two Myprodol capsules, six hourly for at least 5 days. You should stop the medication if you experience any abdominal discomfort. A broken rib will take at least six to eight weeks to recover. If it is very uncomfortable, you can consult your doctor for a nerve block to improve your symptoms.