Posted by: BMJ | 2011/12/14

Rib injury

Dear Doc

2 days ago, I fell with a direct blow against my son''s knee. I felt my rib ''crack''? It is of course very painful. I suspect that I either cracked or fractured a rib or two. It hurts to move/breathe and if I touch my rib it is very painful. We were in another province on holiday and returned today. I have been using Mypaid every 6 hours and this morning also took a celebrex. That really helped and made me feel a lot more comfortable provided I sit still.
I am prone to a irritable stomach if I use ant inlfammatories and I have altosec that I used previously. When and how often do I need to take the altosec and how long can I safely take the anti inflammatories. And lastly, how long will it remain so painful?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

You should take Altosec for the next month and the anti-inflammatory medication, like Clebrex, can be taken once daily for ten days. You can also take two Myprodol capsules, six hourly for at least 5 days. You should stop the medication if you experience any abdominal discomfort. A broken rib will take at least six to eight weeks to recover. If it is very uncomfortable, you can consult your doctor for a nerve block to improve your symptoms.


Dr Anrich

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.