Posted by: Mands | 2009-03-14

Hi doc, I suffer with panic disorder and am currently on 40mg Paxil per day. I have been on the medication for two years. I have recently heart that the natural supplement Rhodiola is useful in boosting vitality and health, helps with stress, increases energy and enhances mood and supports mental and physical performance. Do you perhaps know anything about this herb and is it safe to take with Paxil? Thanks very much.

I haven't the faintest idea. because the medical regulatory authorities in SA have become increasingly sloppy, and allow the marketing of highly unnatural "Natural" substances, posing as "supplements" so as to evade any requirement to prove themselves safe or useful, nobody knows. I know there is no good evidence that Rhodolia is safe or boosts anythign except the bank balance of those who sell it --- and as nobody has bothered to test it for safety in combinations with Genuine medicines, one cannot know. I do know that numerous of the supposedly "natural" remedies DO have potentially serious interactions when combined with proper medicines, so I would be very cautious. I am certain that neither this nor any other over-the-counter supplement is actually useful for stress or promoting physical or mental performance. Save your money