Question
Posted by: Dot | 2012/09/03

Rheumatoid Arthritis?

I have a family history of mother and grandmother having " rheumatoid arthritis" : stiffness, weakness and the joints are misformed (especially the hands) They were never formally diagnosed as they went for tests, it came back and the result were inconclusive for a specific type of arthritis, and each time they had to go back for more tests, each time the same result and simply depleting the savings in their medical aids. Now I sit with the same problem: I have stiffness in my hips when I sit for periods of about an hour or more. When I wake up in the morning my fingers can''t close and I walk around with straight fingers for at least 20 minutes. Only after a warm shower does things get better. Some days are better than others, but there are days when even late afternoon, I still have the stiffness in my fingers. Could this be rheumatoid arthritis? I simply can''t afford blood tests after blood tests and numerous doctors visits, only to be told it could be some form, and to take anti-inflammatories.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Dot
It could also be osteo-arthritis- the wear and tear changes most of us experience. This also runs in families. Also remember there are about 60 different forms of arthritis and some are difficult to diagnose- especially if it is what is called a sero-negative arthritis. If this is really bothersome, I would suggest that you do in fact see your GP for some very basic tests and x-rays and probably a course of anti-inflammatories.

2
Posted by: Elmarie Wepener | 2012/11/28

I have RA. I have a painfull , feels like bone on the side of my foot, just under my little toe. It is getting bigger by the day. Can it be a bunion?

Reply to Elmarie Wepener
Posted by: Healthy Bones | 2012/09/18

Dear Dot

Reply to Healthy Bones