Question
Posted by: Janie Dardick | 2012/07/10

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Dear Dr van Heerden

I have recently been diagnosed with RA and now see Dr Cathy Spargo at the Vincent Pallotti in CT.

I sent an email to Health24 and Birgit Ottermann was amazing. She sent me your website and told me what to do and also herself searched for info on RA. She was wonderful and a real credit to your company.

My doctor has been a bit vague on diet. I also have Osteo Arthritis in my left knee and Dr Ockie van Zyl is busy fixing the mess up op I had last year by another doc who proceeded to take all my cartilage out and, according to the x-rays I had whilst I was in CT Medi Clinic, I have been walking bone on bone for 8 months. He is replacing my cartilage with gel from the same clinic in Boston as little Pippy had her skin grown and I''m feeling better already. I have to have 3 injections of the gel. Getting my 2nd this Thursday.

I was overweight and my Physician and Rheumatologist have told me for my health, to lose weight. I just don''t really know what to avoid. All Dr Spargo said was avoid red meat. I''ve been told to avoid pineapple - can you help please?

Kind regards, Janie Dardick

Dear Janie
Birgit Ottermann is indeed a most charming and efficient colleague. I have promised to write an updated DietDoc Topic on the subject of RA and dietary interventions, which should appear on the Diet & Nutrition section of Health24.com early next week. I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with RA, as this is an autoimmune disease, which can be relatively tricky to handle. However, great strides are being made in the treatment of RA. Because you mention that you are overweight, I would like to encourage you to lose weight with the assistance of a registered dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will have to design an individual diet for you that promotes weightloss so that the strain on your affected joints is reduced, but also boosts your immune system to combat the RA. I would recommend that you remain under the care of a registered dietitian as RA goes through cycles of flare-ups when your requirements for energy and protective nutrients will be increased.
Please check the Diet & Nutrition section of the Health24.com site, during next week for an update on RA and diet.
Wishing you all the best

2
Posted by: Health24 staff | 2012/07/16

Hi.
DietDoc''s article on Rheumatoid Arthritis and diet has just been published on Health24. You''ll find the story here:
Go to " Conditions A-Z" , choose " Arthritis"  centre, go to " Living with arthritis"  section and click on the story " Dietary care in rheumatoid arthritis" .
Kind regards

Reply to Health24 staff

Dear Janie
Wishing you all the best