Posted by: Shona | 2011-10-04

Rheumatoid Arthritis

I am a 56 year old female. I had some blood tests done and the return result was:
ANF AL (Hep-2) = Positive
ANF AL Titer - Titre 1:80
ANF AL Patroon - Nukleoler
NukleosoomAL (0-20 IU/ml) - *32.7
My doctor just announed to me, Oh you know you have Rheumatoid Arthritis? I did not know. She is more concerned about an elevated CEA that I have S-CEA (0-4.7ug/L) *7.2, so just breezed past the RA. I have been extremely fatigued beyond imagination for about 2 years now, I have osteo arthritis in my hands and over the past year have expreienced much more pain in my fingers and wrists, even waking me at night. Sometimes I go through periods when it feels like my brain is disconnected from my hands ie, I need to lift a cup, it feels like I must control someone else''s hands with my brain to lift the cup. Or... all my fingers feel like thumbs. However, I have had a look at RA and cant really say that I think I have RA?, I cannot find anything describing the effect that I feel sometimes about have 10 thumbs for fingers etc as being part of RA?. Yes my fingers are a little buckled but more like in osteo arthritis. We are still investigating the high CEA level but is she right about the RA?

Your blood tests indicate that you have Rheumatoid Arthritis. X-rays of your hands will also be useful in confirming this diagnosis. You should consult a Rheumatologist for the optimal control of your condition. A high CEA can be indicative of gastro-intestinal cancer and therefore, it is very important that this is investigated thoroughly.

Please be so kind as to provide me with feedback.