Posted by: Gabi | 2009-05-21

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hi, my mom has been tested and her results show very high levels of RA factor. She is in a lot of pain, is there anything she can take for it? She is on pain medication as she has had a 2 back ops. I know there is a genetic predisposition for RA, I do have a slight dull ache in my fingers and wrists (esp in Winter) I am 28, can I take anything to ease it, early treatment (have not been tested). I take Omega 3-6-9 and Arthaway (Dischem) which does help.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Gabi,
Diet has been stongly implicated in rhematoid arthritis for many years. virtually any food can aggravate RA, but the most common offenders are wheat, corn, milk and other dairy products, beef, and other foods in the nightshade family (tomato, potato, eggplant, and peppers;tobacco is also in this plant family. Foods particularly beneficial for the RA patient include cold-water fish (mackerel, herring, salmon etc) and flavinoid-rich berries (cherries, hawthorn berries, blueberries, blackberries, etc)
The importance or a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables in the dietary treatment of RA cannot be overstated.
I would also recommend a visit to your local osteopath to assess and address all associated musculoskeletal issues which aid the bodies ability to heal itself. For more information on osteopathy visit

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath

My son diagnosed with Gout. Pain esp right foot instep & 
sometimes hands swollen. Gout or R A?

Posted by: Chris SNYMAN | 2009-06-22

Hi there,

Suffer from severe gout - especially fingers - stiff &  painfull

Reply to Chris SNYMAN

Pains on all joins . in the mornings cannot walk till i have a hot bath