Posted by: Gabi | 2009-05-20

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Is there a way to ease the pain from RA by adjusting your diet? There is a genetic predisposition in my family &  I do have slight aches in my hands &  wrists. I have joint support but nothing else. I am in my late 20' s, I exercise and try eat moderatley well.

Dear Gabi
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) may respond to increased omega-3 fatty acid intake. You can try taking Salmon oil capsules to increase your omega-3 intake. If you should develop more serious RA which involves flare-ups, then it is a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you during such periods when your nutrient requirement is considerably increased.
I do hope that this will not be necessary and that the omega-3 FAs will help your condition.

Posted by: Gabi | 2009-05-21

Thank you for the reply. I have been taking USN Omega 3-6-9. Is Salmon oil better. I like my carbs do you suggest I reduce my intake? Also I can' t eat too much meat as it makes me bloat. Normally I have 3 meals a day and 2 snacks if I have time in between.

Reply to Gabi

Dear Gabi,

As a fellow RA sufferer (in my early 30s), I' d like to tell you what worked for me...

Basically cutting out most starches and sugars from my diet. A higher fat, lower carb diet seems to reduce inflammation in the joints (at least in my case).

I still eat oats porridge with almonds, dried apricots (or some kind of fresh fruit such as peach or apple) and buttermilk in the morning, but the rest of the day I stick with meat (leave the fat on!), chicken (with the skin), eggs, cheese etc. and fresh / stirfried / baked veggies (or veggie soup now that it is winter).

In other words, the only starches and fruit I eat is early in the morning, thereafter I eat low carb. I still take half a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee / tea twice a day - haven' t been able to get to the point where I like it bitter...