Question
Posted by: A Type personality | 2010/07/21

reward/punish cycle eating

I am an A Type personality (control=NB) with history of depression.

I have got into a terrible cycle of binging and dieting which I suspect has a lot to do with comfort eating, etc. I weigh in once a week with a nutritionist, after weighing in I will reward myself by binging/overeating carbs (muffins, chips, cake etc for the rest of the day. After that I eat very little for the rest of the week to get back to the same weight!

Alos I am one of those, where if there ia a cake in the house, I will eat it - the whole thing!! Can''t have a few chips from a packet. have to finish the whole (big) packet!! I am just over my BMI range by 1kg and 41 years old?

Help?

Thanks very much.

Dear A Type Personality
Firstly you need to discuss what you have told me with the nutritionist you are seeing, so that she/he can help you overcome these unbalanced reactions to food. If this does not help, you may also need to consult a clinical psychologist. As you say, your problems with food which are already abnormal and bordering on a serious eating disorder are rooted in your personality and this needs to change before you do yourself permanent harm. Ask your gp to refer you to a clinical psychologist so that you can learn more positive methods of dealing with your problems.
Take care

1

Dear A Type Personality
Take care