Question
Posted by: Brown | 2012/02/01

Reversal Tubal Litigation

My tubes were tied 9 years ago during the birth of my son. I was a single mom of two the decision was based on those circumstances. Now I am getting married and my partner would love to have a baby can this be done in SA (Reversal)? If so roughly what are the costs? Is invitro the option? Or am I doomed...?

Please assist...

Dear Brown

Certainly reversal of previous tubal ligation can be undertaken. The success is determined by the length and quality of the remaining portions of the tubes that were left inside. If a significant portion of the tube was removed at the time of the sterilization then reversal may not be feasible and in-vitro fertilization may be a better option. To establish this fact would require at least a diagnostic laparoscopy and based on the findings a more educated and informed decision can be made. In the current advanced fertility climate in-vitro fertilization will give you approximately the same success outcome as tubal reversal with less trauma and costs. At our centre a full in-vitro fertilization cycle would cost you in the region of R30 000 – R35 000.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2012/02/09

Dear Brown

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert