Question
Posted by: Bernadette | 2012/03/20

Reumaticfever

I had reumatic fever whilst 5 weeks pregnant 3 years ago. The doctor treated me with a 5 day course of penicillin.

After my baby was born I was advised to go see a cardiologist the see if I had any damage due to this illness.

Since last year I have been getting elevated hart beats, running away with me an leaving me feeling anxious and then it will skip a beat or two and slowly start again and running up and skip again.

Last three months I have started having headaches that suddenly pops up out of no were as we''ll.

Can this be the start of signs to say that (here was indeed damage? Or shouldn''t I be worried?

Also have detected some swelling on my back on two different periodic medicals. Can this also be linked?

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

B

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Bernadette,

Thanks for your query. You don’t mention your age; how old were you when you developed rheumatic fever in pregnancy? Rheumatic fever usually occurs between the ages of about 5 and 15 and only rarely during pregnancy.

If rheumatic fever does permanent damage to the heart, it is by damaging heart valves. This can easily be checked by a cardiologist using the technique of echocardiography, similar to the ultrasound that you probably had during your pregnancy.

The symptoms you describe are not those of chronic rheumatic heart disease and do not point to heart valve damage. Palpitations are common even in people with perfectly normal healthy hearts, but a cardiologist would be able to check this aspect for you as well. You need peace of mind and I agree with your doctor’s recommendation that you should see a cardiologist.

Best wishes, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/03/27

Dear Bernadette,

Best wishes, JT

Reply to Cardiologist