Question
Posted by: MdB | 2010/04/10

Return of period after giving birth

Dear Gynaedoc
My baby is now 7 months old and my period has not yet come back. Is this any cause for concern? I am breastfeeding him and I am using the mini pill as contraception. Before I had my baby, my periods were always regular.

Breastfeeding and the mini-pill can both keep your periods away. this is normal.

3
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/04/13

Hi MdB

While you are breastfeeding your period wont come back but you can still fall pregnant. So what you are doing taking the mini pill is the correct thing to do. :)

You can ask the clinic sister as well but when you start to cut out some feeds and you should do that by 11 months as its more difficult to get baby off the breast after 1yrs old, your period might start to show again as your ween baby off the breast. Its best to do that slowly cutting out one feed at a time. Every few weeks. Start with the 10pm feed but substitute with a cereal at that time so baby is fuller for longer and will sleep from then until 6am/ 5.30am. and also so your breast dont get too full but get used to the new change. You should have baby on a bottle of juice/ or even water at the 10am &  4pm so he is not so thirsty at night but also so he can get used to the rubber taste as many breast fed babies dont like the rubber teat they want the real thing. If he wont take a bottle go straight over to a sippy cup. My 1st son did that. I breast fed for 11 months &  weened him off but he refused the bottle and went straight to a cup ,with a spout at 11 months. Have fun with your little one, they grow so fast. :)

Reply to Momof3

Posted by: me | 2010/04/12

Unless I''m mistaken your period wont return whilst you are breastfeeding

Reply to me