Posted by: DN | 2009-07-01

Retrenchment procedure - latest (Urgent response PLS)

Hi there,
As I said in my previous post, we were told at a staff meeting that 2 people holding particular positions would be retrenched. Bcos it was obvious (out of a team of 14) to tell who those were, my colleauge took voluntary retrenchment . To save one person, we were told that the only way was for each person to take a 6%cut to which only 45% agreed. Bcos there wasn' t a 100% buy, that failed. So my retrenchment was finalised yesterday. They said they' d help with find a job and I told them that at the moment I was facing a personal crisis - going through a divorce and being evicted in 2 weeks! So now they just offered me a job - lower position, I take a 10% cut, and no increase next Feb. Firstly, my thinking is that the retrenchment was not necessary in the first place - my 10% cut is just below R2000. How does R2000 achieve the same cost-saving effect that a 6% cut from 13 other people would have had? Secondly, if the retrenchments were necessary, then clearly they didn' t explore all options bcos why didn' t they think of this before? What do you think? Does this " job preservation"  offer make my case weaker or stronger? I have to give them a response this afternoon so would appreciate your advice asap. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Normally people are retrenched on the basis of last in first out. It does however appear that they haven't explored all the options and you do have a right. I would sugges that you refer the matter to the CCMA immediately.