Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-17

Retrenchment package or 13th cheque

I was retrenched last week and I was told that I was going to get a retrenchment package but that I was not going to get a 13th
cheque. I am not sure if I should take this further as the 13th cheque was guaranteed but now that the company is in financial
difficulty they can' t pay it. All my collegues are still getting their bonus but just not me. I don' t know what to do. I was working half day from 8 - 12 and they were paying me a full days salary and they said that I am too expensive for the company so they must let me go. I have been there for nearly 5 years but worked half day for the past 8 months only.
Please give me some advice

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

One needs to carefully peruse the letter of appointment to see if there is an entitlement to a 13th cheque. If this entitlement is contained in the contract then you are entitled to it or pro rata.