Posted by: Liesel | 2009-09-16

Retrenchment-Is this right???

Good day. Please i need help urgently as i am about to resign. The company i' m working for had voluntary retrenchment. I applied for it. I have been working here for 11 yrs, so i believe i can walk away with a few rands. And i have all the experience that i possibly need. My HUBBY IS EARNING OK, SO BASICALLY I THINK WE CAN SURVIVE for a while, and besides I am gonna start looking for a job ASAP. Nevertheless, MY BOSS refuse to let me go, coz i am this WONDERFUL worker. in fact he knows EVERY TIME someone’ s leaves, they dump the work on me and i NEVER say no........... I begged, pleaded and what not, he refuse POINT BLANK. Well there' s some people at the company crying coz they' ve been retrenched and i WANT to go, i even said i can teach someone to do my job AFTER HOURS if i must.FREE of charge.......... But he SAID NO!!NO!!!!!NO!!!!!!!!!. It is up to your direct boss to make the final decision of the voluntary retrenchment. So yes he has the final say, but if i am so adamant to leave, can they KEEP me here. If i have no case i will have no option but to resign, coz i cannot be my boss' s " skivie"  for much longer.
Thanks a mill

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Unfortunately the company has a right who to accept for voluntary retrenchment.