Question
Posted by: Melissa | 2009/10/13

Retrenchment

I work for a small company and my boss has since resigned. There will be no work for me when he leaves and he' s advised me that the company do not want to carry the costs of my employment. I understand all that. But there has been no communication from the company' s side and in light of this I' ve decided to find about job because I dont want to wait and have them give me a month' s notice instead of following the retrenchment process and I' d only be getting one week' s salary in any case. If I should find another position, what kind of notice would I have to give them?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: RETRENCHMENT

You need to give notice in terms of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act. This notice depends on how long you've been with the Company. Please note the following:
a/ One weeks notice for service of 6 months or less and b/ two weeks notice for service of more than 6 months but not more than one year and c/ four weeks notice if the employee has been employed for one year or more or is a farm or domestic worker of more than six months.

1
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2009/10/15

RE: RETRENCHMENT

Reply to labour lawyer