Question
Posted by: blossom | 2010/02/07

RETIN A AND WHITEHEADS

I have suffered a lot of acne when younger, but it has cleared up a lot. I have been using retin a for years now. maybe it has kept the wrinkles at bay, but it has done nothing to heal the hard whiteheads on my forehead. as i cannot afford any special treatment, what can i do?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Blossom, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my response.

Your best option would be to see your dermatologist who can examine the skin and advise you on the best and most affordable treatment options.

These skin care guidelines (unless your dermatologist instructs otherwise) can help improve the whiteheads:

Do NOT pop, squeeze or pick the whiteheads as this can make theme worse by spreading inflammation. With medical treatment, removing lesions is rarely necessary;however, when comedo removal is needed, it should be performed by an experienced healthcare professional.

Gently wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser and pat dry. Acne is not caused by poor hygiene, and vigorous washing and scrubbing will not clear your skin. In fact, scrubbing, exfoliating, and using hard brushes or granules can irritate your skin and make the acne worse.

Use “noncomedogenic” (does not clog pores) cosmetics and toiletries. When buying cosmetics and other products that you will use on your skin or hair, be sure to look for ones labeled “noncomedogenic.” Makeup, sunscreen and toiletries that are not likely to cause acne state that they are “noncomedogenic” on the product.

Avoid aggravating the whiteheads:
Oily hair, sporting equipment that rubs against your skin and airborne grease.
Avoid excess exposure to sunlight, and do not use tanning booths or sun lamps.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/02/14

Avoid aggravating the whiteheads:

Reply to anti-ageing expert