Question
Posted by: Bloated | 2012-02-23

Retaining water

Hi. I was underweigt for 10 years. I''ve started to eat healthier and start menstruating for first time in years I also started to retain water and weigt about 8 kg in 4 months. What can I do ?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi "Bloated"
It is very difficult to be certain what has happened to you here. I am not sure if you have been doing something to dehydrate yourself artificially, but you might be suffering from a rebound edema. I suggest that you email the forum endocrinologist (Dr. Wayne May), who is a colleague of mine. He might have a suggestion. Do NOT just take diuretics as this could be very damaging, given that you were underweight for such a long time. A gynecologist might also be able to explain your circumstances, given that your estrogen levels have now risen.
Regards,
Graham