Posted by: Interferon Beta User | 2009-06-06

Results of Menopause Screen

I recently had a Menopause Screen to determine whether I am (peri) menopausal, as I am already 44 years old.

The test was done on the second day of my period.

The results were as follows:

Oestradiol - 228 pmol/l
FSH - 14.8 IU/l
LH - 5.3 IU/l

Are the above results an indication that I am peri-menopausal?

I don' t have hot flushes or dryness or any other symptoms of the (peri) menopause EXCEPT for menstrual irregularity. Sometimes my periods are up to 3 weeks late, other times they are a week early. Occasionally my cycle is still 4 weeks long however. Should I be concerned?

Dear Interferon Beta User

The elevated day-2 FSH level certainly indicates some form of ovarian resistance or diminished ovarian reserve. This type of profile is often seen in perimenopausal women. However the normal LH level is encouraging and therefore I would suggest that fertility treatment is still an option provided that sufficient attention is paid to the type of ovarian stimulation protocol and that the appropriate dosages are used.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim