Question
Posted by: Neli G | 2009/10/14

Results from Fertility Tests - Bad, is there hope?

I took blood tests and the results are said to be bad. Thyroid results and one other test were normal. The aestrogen was 22 against a norm of 10 and the malaria came out 0.18 against a norm of 1.1. Now the FS says this is early menapause and my ovaries are not functioning anymore. He says I still need to do laporoscopy for endometriosis and IVF would be on an egg donor. Since I do not want a donor and not ovulating, is it necessary to carry on with the exercise or should I just forget about having a baby with my egg and my husband' s sperm?

Dear Neli G

You have mentioned that your estrogen was 22 and the normal should be 10, I am assuming that you may be saying that the FSH is 22. If this is the case then it usually indicates a very poor ovarian reserve. However this must not be taken in isolation and provided that you are seeing your menstruation regularly then I would suggest you repeat the tests on the second day of your menstrual period and these tests should include an FSH level, an LH level, anti-mullerian hormone level and ask your doctor to also assess your antral follicle count of your ovaries. If your FSH levels are still very high and your anti-mullerian hormone levels is very low then this will indicate either premature ovarian failure or poor reserve.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009/10/21

Dear Neli G

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert