Posted by: Katie | 2011-10-11

Hi Doc,

following my post yesterday, I went to get my test results from the pathologists. My doctor told me the only problem is my iron, but there are one or two things on the results that I am not sure of (and unfortunately my doctor was not available to see me yesterday and I am told she is consulting this morning and I cannot leave a message).

My first worry is my kidney test (urea and electrolytes). My eGFR result is 81, and according to the message below, it states that eGFR between 60 and 89 may indicate mild renal function impairment in the presence of microalbuminuria/ proteinuria. According to the classification of chronic kidney disease box below that message, it states that 60-89 is stage two: kidney damage with mildly decreased GFR- this sounds like something I should worry about???

My TSH result was 3.84 which I believe is normal, however I also have read that this test is not always 100% accurate. I do have quite a few of the symptoms of hypothyroidism (fatigue, I have gained a bit of weight (about 3kgs) that I cannot lose with exercise, I feel lethargic, I am very cold sensitive, my hair and nails are very brittle, my skin is dry, extremely difficult to concentrate, my memory is SHOT (I cannot remember the plot of a movie I watched one month ago), very sleepy, weakness/ lightheadedness, my moods are unstable, etc). What other tests can I take that can completely rule out hypothyroidism?

Then, my blood tests are normal (with exception to the low iron) but can you please tell me what a low MCH and low MCHC result means (on the result they say it is abnormal)?

Thank you. :)

Impaired kidney function is described as a lower than normal glomerular filtration rate (eGFR). I think your symptoms are due to your kidneys. The lowered MCH ( Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin) and MCHC levels are signs that you have impaired kidney function. Consult your doctor as soon as possible for a referral to a nephrologist.

Posted by: Katie | 2011-10-12

Ahhhhhhhh, thank you so much for your assistance. I think I will get another opinion because I STILL can''t get hold of my doctor to discuss these results fully.

CyberDoc, if you happen to read all the posts please still give me an answer to the questions in my original post. :)

Reply to Katie
Posted by: B | 2011-10-12

Katie - a higher count shows HYPOthyropidism. When my symptoms was at it''s worst I slept for 17 out of 24 hours. I LONGED for retirement where I could just sleep in my chair. I even started contemplating suicide because I just felt so TIRED

Reply to B
Posted by: Katie | 2011-10-12

Hi B,

Thanks for your reply. I’ m sorry if I sound stupid, medical things are not my forte, but would having that slightly higher mean that my thyroid would be OVER active? My symptoms do not match those of hyperthyroidism.

Yes, the fatigue is awful. Terrible. I wait for any excuse to miss gym because half the time I feel I just don’ t have the energy. I feel so silly going to bed so early at my age- it’ s become a running joke in my family!!!

Reply to Katie
Posted by: B | 2011-10-11

Katie - although your tsh is not very high it is higher than usual. My normal tsh is 1.25. 2 years ago I felt exactly as you desribed and my tsh was 4.25 I am lucky to have a friend who is a endocronologist and he told me that they consider treating if the count is more than 3 if the patient has symptoms.

I would really recommend that you ask for a copy of your blood test results and go for a sencond opinion. If you ever had your tsh tested in the past ask that dr for your previous count- you can just phone and compare the two.

That fatigue is unlike anything I have ever experienced or ever want to again. My tsh levels dropped because of cortisone treatment, so I had to wait 8 weeks before I could retest and once I felt better it was so obvious how ''not normal'' my tiredness was. Insist on discussing your tsh results and ASK the dr if he would consider hypothyroidism as the cause.

Reply to B