result of constipation

I have just had a most unpleasant experience.When I went to the toilet after breakfast my bowels were pushing strongly as they usually do but the poo battled to get out and caused me a lot of pain at the exit- seriously as though giving birth, even to the point of feeling as if I were tearing something. I tried to help the poo out by grasping it with toilet paper as it emerged and it was composed of lots of little balls (bokdrolletjies). So I must have been constipated without realising it- probably due to a couple of recent long road trips. Anyway, afterwards I was washing my bottom in case anything had actually split. There was no sign of blood but it felt like some of the mucous membrane was outside, as if the bowel had pushed a little length of itself inside out. It still feels a bit bruised down there. I am doing kegel exercises all the time to encourage it back. Do I need to see a doctor?

Dear Anonymous
You probably had a bit of a rectal prolapse and if it does not happen again, it is not necessary to see a doctor. If you ever battle like this to pass a stool, it helps to have a enema bulb in the house to just squirt a little bit of water into the rectum to soften the stool and help it come out. You can buy this at any pharmacy. Duphalac is a safe stool softener you can use if you are constipated.

Posted by: Been there | 2009-07-02

Hi there, wait for cyber docs response, but I dont think its necessary at this time to see a doctor. You can go to the pharmacy and ask them for (____). Its a bottle of clear liquid that is very sweet tasting. What it does is it makes your stool soft and easier to pass. Just ask your chemist. Its quite cheap.The little flap of skin that you have there may be a little swollen, note that there is a difference between having piles and this ' piece of skin' . Forgot the names, sorry. but it usually goes away after a couple of days. Its important not to strain though.

Reply to Been there