Posted by: Nia | 2010-07-30

I work for a big, well known company. The company is doing restructuring. People had to apply for new jobs and/or voluntary retrenchment. Initially I was being told that my job will not be affected. When the structure was published my position no longer appeared on the structure. I decided to apply for a job elsewhere (in another department and at another office) and to apply for voluntary retrenchment. Ater my job application I decided to retract my application and I let them know I was not interested anymore and that I want voluntary retrenchment. In the mean time my own department has started proceedings to re-create my old job, yet it is taking very long to finalise and I have now heard that the job will probably only be temporary if they do manage to approve the position.
Today the people that were appointed in the new jobs were announced. Guess what - I was appointed in the position I originally applied for, even though I retracted my application and was never interviewed. My own department has now decided that they will not accept this appointment and that they will try and keep me in my current job (which must still be created).

In the mean time I am getting fed up with all this politics and since I now know that the position they will create for me will only be temporary I have decided that I want the job that I have been placed in more than I want my current job that must still be created.

Legally, can I hold them to the announcement they made today, that is giving me this new position even though I retracted my aplication originally, or can they force me to stay on in my current job?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Restructuring

Companies are entitled to restructure from time to time. Certain people can apply for new jobs and take voluntary retrenchment if they are unhappy. However if your current position remains intact then unfortunately you cannot make any claim. You have to stay in your current job or you can resign.

Posted by: annon | 2010-08-01

Its a shame how this big company is shitting on the little guys

Reply to annon