Question
Posted by: Tiekie | 2009-02-10

Restless Movements

My husband suffers from jerky movements during his sleep. The movements are not just restricted to his arms and legs, but his whole body. It does not bother him (he sleeps through it), but it is terrible for me as his constant jerking wakes me. He has no other " symptoms" , and this occours every single night. He wasn' t even aware of it until I told him about it. If he takes a nap during the day nothing happens - no jerky movements. It seems that it is only at night. Please help!

Dear Tiekie
Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is repetitive cramping or jerking of the legs during sleep. It is the only movement disorder that occurs only during sleep. It can be caused by some diseases like diabetes, anemia, iron deficiency and some kidney disorders. Certain medications can also cause this (eg. Tryptanol, Valium withdrawal ) If it is really bad your doctor can prescribe central acting muscle relaxants like valium or anti epileptics or anti-parkinson's type medications. All of these have side effects and valium is addictive, so the decision should be taken only if all other possible treatable causes have been excluded.