Question
Posted by: Mia | 2008/07/08

rest the butt??

HI Fitdoc i love working out my butt, anything to make it feel sore and on fire. I tend to do this every day. But now I wonder, does the butt need rest like other body parts eg back and chest? If so, whats a decent rest period? And is there any need to rest it after just floor exercises (say pelvic tilts), as opposed to compound exercises like squats and lunges?

I just wonder if i am overtraining my glutes without realising it, but is that possible? I always thought only the more 'traditional' muscles needed to be rested.

thanks pls advise

Mia

Hi Mia

It does, yes, though it's a little different to say the calf or quad muscles, because the function of the muscle is different. So you can get away with doing more. I'd say you need a day for every three training days, where you rest and recover. You also don't want to overstrength, because then you can develop tightness or inflexibility on one side (front or back; or left vs. right) and that also is not good.