resistance training

I do excersize 3 time a week which consist of me burning about 400 cal every time. I know everyone says exercise 5-6 times a week with a 30 minute walk or something, but honestly i don' t have the time or motivation to do it that often. I committed to 3 time a week, an hour and half a time where i burn 400 cal and that is still doable for me. Is this ok? Secondly I love walking and would rather go and do what i like doing then make up excuses why not to go because i have to do exercise i don' t like. I get on the climber for high for about 40 minutes, then 10 minutes on treadmill with a 1kg weight in each hand, and then a rower for 10 minutes or a bicycle of 10 minutes this changes, but i was told this might not be enough to loose weight only maintain and i need to start doing some resistance exercise to release some good hormones. I assume this means weights! I don' t feel comfortable with weights but if you can please suggest a few best ones I will try and incorporate it in my gym session. My BMI is 25, height 1.75, pear shaped with a bigger bone structure, 29 and weight 76kg.

Thank you for your time

Hi Natasha

ANything over and above nothing is good for you, so three times a week is good, yes. Obviously, adding a 4th day each week would make an impact, and I would still recommend it, but if time is limited, then three times a week is OK. As for the choice of exercise, you're 100% right. Rather do what you enjoy, because this is a longterm thing, not an overnight fix, so don't get caught up in the hype about doing fancy training when you can do what you enjoy and do it often.

Any exercise might help to lose weight, but it is never guaranteed because it's a function of how hard you do it, how long you go for and what your diet is like. That's the key part. So if you trained five times a week, for two hours at a time (extreme), then the "acceptable" diet looks different from what it looks with 3 sessions a week of 30 minutes. Does that make sense? The point is, you have to look wholistically at this, because you can't simply control one half of the equation- the other half is diet and that is just as vital!

So I'd strongly advise that you see a dietician about this and have it sorted, then the programme you're doing should help!