Posted by: k | 2010-07-01

Resignation period

hi, my contract of employment states that i should serve 2month notice when resigning, is this applicable? isn''t the normal notice period a month? &  also i work as a receptionist and not the company executive where the co. can''t run without. i''m sure they can get my replacement in a day''s time.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Resignation period

If your contract of employment states that you must serve a 2 month notice period then you must do so.

Posted by: Purple | 2010-07-08

If your contract says two months, then thats what it is.

If you have found another job and want to be released after a month for that, then go and speak with your manager and ask if you can have part of your notice period waived. Speak respectfully and explain that your position won''t be difficult to fill and can be filled by a temp while they look for someone if necessary, don''t say it in the way you have said it in this mail.
IF they wont then they wont, but you can ask, the worst they can say is no, though most companies realise that if someone wants to go before their notice period is up there isn''t much point fighting it, some are stubborn and enforce things for no reason other than being difficult, when not enforcing it would not have caused a problem.

Reply to Purple