Question
Posted by: Fed-up | 2010/10/11

Resign

i have been with the company for 5 years now, i handed in my resignation letter today, and i was told i can''t resign now or otherwise i''m gonna have to pay the salary i got month end (september) within 24 hours before i leave. what does the labour law say about this? can''t i give 24 hours notice, even the hours i''m working are long hours from 9am - 7pm, and i''m not even paid overtime for the hours.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Resign

You are entitled to be paid overtime. When you resign you need to give one months notice.

3
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2010/10/18

Re: Resign

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: Linda Michael Gideon Mashinini | 2010/10/14

In our company there are two types of employees namely those that belong to the bargaining union and those that does n''t belong to the bargaining union.I''m at grade 6 according to the grades that are at our company,but my salary is lower than a grade 4 employee after they introduce a new system called a total package.Employee above grade 4 are forced to belong to total package by our employer hence you loose a certain percentage of medical aid contribution made by employer,while on the bargaining unit the employer is subsidising them by 50% on medical aid.We are told that everything namely housing allowance and medical aid subsidy is all there,not reflected.

Reply to Linda Michael Gideon Mashinini
Posted by: Whena | 2010/10/11

You signed a contract and for 5 years your employer honoured that contract by paying you a salary.Now after 5 years you want to break the contract and still expect them to pay you.

Unfortunately the employer has the right to withhold the payment of your salary and all leave etc due to you if you break the contract.Rather give the proper notice of 1 calender month

Reply to Whena