Question
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2009-07-19

Research: new drug for bipolar

Dear CS
Thanks very much for your reply to my previous question. I got my syntax wrong, and meant to say “ There really ARE batty, middle-aged women (with cats) who ‘ see things’ ”  (it’ s the women seeing things, not the cats).

I have questions regarding drug trials. My psychiatrist said I’ ll be considered for a drug trial that is coming up, testing a new atypical in bipolar disorder. He did say the name but I have forgotten it. Have you heard of this? Has anyone else here heard of it?

I am tentatively interested, pending informed consent talks, as I’ ve heard that if the med is effective for someone, the drug company is obliged to continue providing it to that person. Is this correct? And would that be indefinitely or only until the drug was registered? It would likely be more expensive than Abilify, which is prohibitive, and this may be a way to access it? And would it likely mean I would have to stop Seroquel for the duration of the trial?

TIA, again

Kay in Gtown

Helo K in G, after all this time !
Never mind the syntax, nowadays that seems about all they DON'T tax. Anyway, maybe batty cats seek out batty women ( who are ALWAYS preferable to catty women ).
Hard to guess what the new drug is in this particular trial, as these trials happen at a stage when the drug is not yet available or advertised, so I really don't know which of several possibilities they may be trying. Maybe his secretary, if called, could tell you the name. I also wonder what type of trial i would be. The scientifically best ones either compare people on placebo or on the usual meds, with the new drug, and select who gets what at random, and they would be "double blind", i.e. neither you nor the doc seeing and assessing you, would know what you were receiving. Some trials are done after the drug has already been registered, in which everyone does receive the new drug, to look at other issues, such as how acceptable it is to patients, how well it's benefits persist, and so on.
Clarify what the company will do if the drug proves useful to you. They usually should agree to provide it to you sor some time. Maybe permanently, but as more companies these days seem to be run by bad accountants, it'd be best to check directly.
Again, it depends on the nature of this trial, as to whether you would have to stop other drugs like Seroquel. In some types of trials, that would be so, maybe not in others. When I used to do trials, I liked to give someone in your position a pamphlet explaining all of these details, because many people are not as intelligent as you are to recognize the questions that need to be asked, and many of us can't remember the answwers the next day, anyway. I'll be interested to hear what drug it is, and what sort of trial