Posted by: Dids | 2009-08-27

Rescue dog

I have a 3 yr old lab,gentle, very old mini pincher with a heart condition and a 6 month old yorkie (all females)
I went to DARG yesterday to dopt an old small scruffy dog and ended up adopting a medium to large rescued dog of approx 12 years. She was the sadest looking creature I have ever seen, withdrawn and has been in the kennel for approx 10 years. Now I have a problem, herself and my Yorkie do not like each other, snarling and growling, and I am deathlty afraid she attacks my Yorkie, (her mouth is large so she can do a lot of damage) The carer at DARG felt she would fit it with other pets as she has never shown any form of aggression. She even growls at my lab, who is now also showing signs of stress. I do not want to take her back as I feel she deserves to be loved her last few years on earth. Please let me know how to handle this. I am keeping my 2 small dogs away from her, but this can only be a temp solution. Please help me I am desperate to give this poor dog a happy ending. I have two young kids who love her already and she has not shown any sign of aggression towards them. Thank you

Dear Dids

Buy a DAP diffuser and get a behaviourist involved. I would socialise them all away from home to start with, lots of people and other dogs to start with.

Posted by: steph | 2009-08-27

hm, its always best to introduce the dogs outside of their home territory. maybe take them for a walk and get a friend to meet you along the way with your new dog. perhaps she feels stressed in this new environment. I have been to DARG and some of the things that i saw happen there were terrible and the staff were not great, which is such a pity.

you could also try the DAP diffuser to help settle the new dog in. other than that maybe the staff at DARG could suggest a behaviourist to help you. maybe try to keep them apart and then walk them each day all together, outside of their home and they will slowly adjust.

I moved home a while ago and had a shared garden with my neighbour who had a very large aggressive lab cross. we kept each of our dogs in our smaller gardens with a gate in between but they could see each other through the gate. for a few weeks they' d bark and go nuts at each other but after a few more weeks they were not phased with each other and we could leave the gate open for them to share the 2 acres out back :)

Reply to steph