Posted by: Mike | 2010-06-30

Request for increas in maintenance

I have received a notice from my ex''s attorney to increase he maintenance that I pay towards my two children. The increase is seven thousand rand per month. I have requested her attorneys to prove that she needs the money. I also consulted with my attorney and we have drafted an agreement for an increase, but not that much. After numerous attempts from my attorney requesting feedback from her attorneys, they are ignoring us. It has been more than a year now. Is she playing some kind of game. My attorney said that we must sit back and wait for her. If this must go to court, what will the magistrate say about their ignorance?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Well it certainly does not seem that she is in desperate need of an increase and I guess the magistrate will take the delay into account. Remember that both parents have an obligation to contribute towards the maintenance of a child in relation to their respective income. So, like you, so does she also have to contribute.