Question
Posted by: Rob | 2010/10/04

Repost of #1329. Question on possible anaphylaxis

Dear Dr,

Two days ago we sat down to supper. To prepare it, we used a cook-in sauce from a major take away place - we have used other sauces before and tried this new one. It was basically pork with some veggies and this sauce (and rice).

A few minutes later I began to splutter and cough ''iets vreeslik''. From my mouth down to about the middle of my chest it felt itchy - like I had to scratch it.. but not quite. As the coughing progressed I started to wheeze and I felt worse - by this time I''''d started to sweat and started to feel very anxious.

I remembered that I''''d been prescribed Dazit (5mg) a while back and took that. It didn''''t help immediately.. I pretty much just sat around and waited for it to go away.. it did go away, a couple of hours later.

The next day I had some of the left overs and the same thing happened. I eventually made the connection that I was the only person feeling this way after eating the food.

I called a local hospital (to ask if they think it''s serious enough to come in after hours). The nursing sister (a male nurse whom I shall call ''Mister Sister'' ) that I spoke to said this: ''you must immediately rush to the hospital'' . He went on to say that he wasn''''t sure if the anti-histamine would, by itself, work.

I didn''''t go to the hospital - because I do not have medical aid cover much less the cash to pay a doctor. I have no objection to seeing a medical practitioner, I just have to be very careful with my money as my income is few and far between.

A few hours later the major symptoms subsided (mostly the wheezing stopped and the coughing became less frequent). It''''s now a day later - since the last episode - and I still feel a bit wobbly.

Other symptoms: I am tired all day, every day. After eating basically anything I get really tired. At random times during the day I get really tired and need to sleep. When I do lie down a bit, my heart races uncontrollably, I sweat like there''''s no tomorrow - I don''''t think I "  sleep"  but it does feel like I sort of drift in and out of "  consciousness"  . I also suffer from headaches frequently and my vision (particularly on one side) tends to be a bit on the fuzzy side. One final symptom, exercise of even moderate intensity creates breathing difficulties for me and lightheaded-ness at any time during the above is not uncommon.

Thoughts doctor?

Sincerely

Rob.

PS: Oh sorry doc, I forgot to mention that I also have large dark circles around my eyes. I have for as long as I can remember.

PPSS: The sauce was a " Nando''s Wild Herb &  Garlic Peri-Peri Cooking Sauce" .

On the side, under the heading "  Allergens"  it lists these items:
"  Made in a facility that processes products with gluten, egg, peanuts, soya, celery, mustard and sulphites." 

Hallo Rob
It really sounds as if you had a serious allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the sauce and you should avoid ever eating this again. You may get anaphylactic shock from this. Ideally one should have a blood test to identify the cause (you get a test that tests for basic allergens like egg, nuts, gluten etc)

Chronic tiredness can be caused by diabetes, anemia, thyroid problems, depression, low blood pressure. The effects you get after eating sounds like a blood sugar problem to me. You may need to do a fasting blood sugar and insulin test. Maybe you should see a doctor at your nearest provincial hospital out patient department if you can't afford the tests.

Dark circles under eyes can be caused by allergies (hayfever), dehydration or tiredness.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/06

Hallo Rob