Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2009-04-01

Re:post 361

Thank you ladies and gentlemen from now on no bathing for my dogs. I`ll stick to grooming and Frontline/Advantix for tick and flea control. While on that whats your take on these (new) Preventix collars that are supposed to control fleas and ticks as well?

Dear Boerboel owner

If you have a big tick problem put on a Preventix collar. It helps a lot with ticks, not fleas.

Posted by: WR | 2009-04-02

Ditto - A quick treatment of Frontline spray if I' m going anywhere were I am not sure about ticks etc - but I have no " regular"  treatment regime.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-01

I use Advantage on my dogs for a few months of the year, and then only when necessary. If it wasn' t for a stray (fleabag) cat sneaking into their kennel to sleep in the night, I might never have to use the stuff.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2009-04-01

Hi there.
My dogs go to a homeopathic vet and she does not believe in any preventatives used on the animals - rather treat the environment.
I treated my house for ticks and fleas in December as my new puppy arrived with 100 ticks - no jokes I lost count around 80.

Anyway I have come through a Durban summer without having to put anything on my animals (3 dogs, 7 cats).
I t works for me.

My dogs lived in preventic collars, then my male got really sick so he had no collar for about 3 months.
I had bought a preventic collar for my dogs in December as we were going to Nottingham Road but the moment I put it on him he started reacting funny so I took it off immediately and threw it away.
I took a chance taking them away but the homeopath agreed that a spray of frontline would be okay for that trip.

I take my dogs to the beach every weekend and only rinse on Sunday. For Jack Russells who are prone to skin problems they have beautiful coats.

Reply to Kate