Question
Posted by: Dee | 2012/08/09

Report Back

Hi Dr

I''m not sure you remember me, I''m the lady who wanted to run away and move to another country. Dr thank you so much for your advice, you are wonderful. I searched for therapists that specialized in CBT and I started treatment. It has been so helpful, for the first time in 7 years I feel hopeful, my body feels lighter, I no longer have that tight wound up feeling. Its only been about a month so I still have bad days BUT I''m learning to cope and overcome them and it feels so good when I do. The best part about it is that I finally know why I''ve been depressed, I always knew that my father''s murder was not the cause (maybe a factor but not a cause) and my past therapists always fixated on it even though I kept insisting that wasn''t it. I now realize that it was a culmination of things and years of warped and negative thinking and incidents that I never resolved that festered and fermented emotionally and mentally until I broke down.

Thank you seems so small, I don''t think you will ever know how grateful I am. Depression is the worst thing anyone can go through. The fear, the anxiety, the trauma of having to engage with another person...I lost my 20s to depression I didn''t want to lose my 30s as well and you gave me my life back. I know its a bit too soon to speak but this therapy is working, I''m responding to it and its hitting the nail on the head every time. The most difficult part is facing the fear and the pain and getting to the root but its paying off. After 7yrs of this and trying different therapists (and medication) I think I know when something is working so thank you once again.
On my way to happiness :)

Thank you so very much for the feedback, which is so helpful to me and to all our readers, who, I'm sure, will be delighted to hear of your progress.
Personally, I'm delighted to hear of your realistic progress.
You also illustrate, excellently, why I recommend CBT, as a realistic and down-to-earth form of therapy that doesnt get misled by old-fashioned therapies, like some other forms. When there has been such an obviously awful experience as in your life, it's too easy for naive therapists to get fixated on that, and pursue it relentlessly, without taking the time to explore the full breadth and extent of your concerns.
Extending your metaphor, CBT looks carefully for where your nails are, before hitting them. Analysts and others tend to hit at where they theoretically believe nails to be. And where, like hypnotists, you have only a hammer in your tool-box, everything looks like a nail and you hit it, regardless of whether this will actually be useful, or even of whether or not it is actually a nail.
Keep up your most excellent work, and continue to let us know of your continuing progress.

1