Question
Posted by: anon | 2012-04-24

report

Hi there Dr

my step son was seeing an educational therapist last year at school (he was 6 at the time) and saw him for around 3 months
He has since moved provinces to live with us.
The therapist refuses to give us a report or any feedback on the sessions that were conducted.
is he obligated to give us a report? the way i see it is he was charging us a bucket load to do nothing if he cant even tell us in which direction his therapy was going. we had asked for a report so we hand it to a new therapist.

Please advise?
thank you

I would suggest that this issue be discussed with the Health Professions Council - I'm not sure that any therapist should be allowed to refuse to provide a report to the patient or their guardian. If he expects to get paid for whatever he does ( I actually don't know what an "Educational Therapist" is or does - make sure you check with his receptionist or whoever knows, WHAT his basic qualifications are to claim to be any sort of therapist ). This sounds deeply suspicious and not normal good professional behaviour ( assuming the "educational therapist" actually belongs to one of the health professions ) - it is the normal duty of any proper health professional to provide, either directly to the new therapist or through the parents / guardians or patient, a competent report on their diagnosis of the problems identified, and what therapy they provided, with what results.

3
Posted by: anon | 2012-04-25

the therapist just said he does not do reports. So regardless of the mother, the therapist wont give a report to any of us.

Reply to anon

Posted by: Maria | 2012-04-24

Did the therapist give a reason? Is it perhaps a case of the report can go to the boy''s mother because she is listed on the paperwork as guardian? Either way, the records belongs to the patient, or in this case the parent iirc.

Reply to Maria