Question
Posted by: Aquelle | 2009/03/04

Reply to Dr. Hair Relax and prednisone

Dear Aquelle
The period of recovering after cortisone treatment may differ from person to person - is your doctor going to give the injection of Celestone? He may need to have your cortisol levels checked before the injection due to the previous history? YES OLD ASTHMATIC. YES, I SPOKE TO HIM AFTER READING YOUR REPLY AND HE SAID WAIT ANOTHER WEEK IF CHEST OK, ITS NOT GREAT BUT I CAN WAIT. NO, NEVER HAD LEVELS TESTED. HOW DO THEY DO THIS? WHAT DOES A HIGH CORTISOL READING AFFECT? MAKE YOU GAIN WEIGHT, THAT SAME HORMONE? IF HIGH, HOW WILL YOU FEEL? IF LOW, HOW WILL YOU FEEL?

If your scalp is not painful, red or scaly, the hair treatment probably did not cause any damage - but you need to be careful with a sensitive scalp! YES, I HAD THAT SEBORRIC? DERMATITIS AND IT WAS BETTER. BUT NOT AS BETTER AS WE THOUGHT I GUESS.

What do you use for your asthma? Are you on an inhaled steroid too? Are you using any antihistamines? YES SERATIDE 50/500 2 PUFFS DAILY MORN AND NIGHT AND 2 PUFFS BUDEFLAM AQUENASE INTO EACH NOSTRIL IN MORN. NO, NO ANTI-HISTAMINES.

I AM SUPER SENSITIVE TO DRUGS, BAD HISTORY. SO DOC VERY CONSERVATIVE WITH ME BUT LAST YEAR IN JAN 08 I WAS SO FRIGHTENED I AM NOW ON CYMBALTA AND URBANOL AS I DEVELOPED PANIC ATTACKS FROM THE STRESS OF IT ALL AND BEING TOLD IT WAS STRESS FOR 7 MONTHS. THE DOC (WHEN MINE WAS AWAY) GAVE ME A HIGH DOSE OF PREDNISONE FOR 21 DAYS AND DID NOT TAPER IT OFF. I LANDED UP IN HOSPITAL WITH A BP OF 183/101 AFTER 14 DAYS. I AM NOW TERRIFIED OF PREDNISONE AND THE INJECTION.

I WILL TRY TO WAIT A WEEK - YES, 2ML CELESTON SOLUSPAN.

PLEASE ANSWER THE QUESTIONS ON CORTISOL AND THANK YOU SO MUCH. EXCUSE THE CAPS, FOR YOUR EASE OF REFERENCE.
(Please answer in the "  post a question box"  )
Date: 2/3/2009

Hi Aquelle
I think your doctor has everything under control - you could ask him if taking something like Deselex antihistamine will be beneficial. If you take high levels of cortisone and suddenly stop your adrenal glands can be supressed and you can develop problems if you then have stress (like being ill or having anaesthetic) IF he tapered you this time cortisol testing is not necessary ( it is a blood test) Long term cortisol treatment may cause weight gain and water retention.