Question
Posted by: Corne | 2010/07/01

Reply to Cybershrink

From the post below " Holding myself back"  - the answer to your question about my father:

My father wasn''''t around much when I was young as he flew from country to country as he was apart of the special forces during that time.

The problem I am having is that I remember that I also had this frustration when I was young and I actually beat our dog and hurt him because of this.

Four years ago I was in an abusive relationship. Though not physical, I was emotionally abused to such a state that I became a physical abuser. I grew more and more aggressive up to the point where I had to get out .

Everyone in my family says that this relationship changed me and at first I didn''t want to accept it but now as time goes by I realize that I have a low self-esteem due to this abuse.

This happened three years ago, could this still have a influence in me? How do I get my self esteem,worth back ? I miss being my old bubbly self.

That's another variety of a not uncommon situation - an absent father may be a great dad potentialy, but if he generally isn't there to do it, and to show how its done, it's harder for us to learn and recognize how to be comfortable in that role. Low self-esteem can start when one doesn't get affirmation and positive support from a parent, and then would indeed easily grow more troublesome when one was exposed to an abusive and uncaring relationship.
As you and others testify you USED to be much more happy and relaxed than this, there is an excellent chance of getting back to that, with the help of a psychotherapist / counsellor, to work through this material and help you deal better, bu alternative ways, with the irritability when it arises.

1