Question
Posted by: M | 2010/06/23

Reply to CS

CS. I know that there are many people that believe suicide is selfish...and maybe it is, but how many of them have been so......lost....for want of a better word? There will only be three people affected by my not being around...my mother &  2 daughters. My mom is old.....she doesnt need me. The kids will be better off without the screaming monster around. Maybe their father can get married again &  maybe they will get a much nicer stepmom? Chances are 50/50. Who knows? The sad part is that I dont even have the guts it takes to do that. Stuck. Cant leave, dont want to stay. Dont want to try any more. You dont have to respond, its just a statement.

There is interesting and relevant research evidence showing that as one gets increasingly depressed and suicidal, one's view of the world becomes constricted, and one selectively attends to all the most negative things in life and interprets them very negatively, ignoring more positive aspects and interpretations.
Yes, one can become lost - but that's when one urgently needs to see a good shrink, as a guide to help you find the way to a happier way of life.
NOBODY is better off without you. And indeed not only are more people potentially badly affected than you think or realize, but there can be real harm and increased risk to those who love you.
Don't give up, but urgently and assertively arrange to see a good local shrink for a full assessment ( be frank with him / her about how you are feeling ) and get the treatment you deserve. You can be feeling a great deal better than this, and continue to make a positive contribution to the lives of others as well as to your own.

1