Posted by: J*D* | 2009-02-19

Thank you for answering my question. I just want to tell you more about the Hypnosis I am going for and then would like to hear your opinion. It will be done by a qualified Clinical Psychologist, obviously there should be a source for having this eating disorder don’ t you think? I am going with the expectation to deal with what happened in the past and then hopefully the results will be- a new mind set.
I am also going to see a clinical dietician to help me with a stable diet and if necessary I will continue seeing a psychologist. Do you still think I am wasting time with the Hypnosis or could it actually be of benefit?

It is obviously usually better to seek hypnosis, if one must, from a qualified and registered Clinical Psychologist. But your premise is incorrect. There isn't a shred of good evidence that there is "a source" for eating disorders, not of the sort you would seek with hypnois, and not a single shred of evidence that using hypnosis actually acurately finds any such source or remedies it. Eating disorders are NOT caused by some buried seret which happened in the past --- if anything nasty happened to you in your past, whether relevant or irrelavant, you would know about it --- it is a dangerous myth that vital and influential past traumas get repressed and hidden somewhere, lurking in the dark, only to be revealed and relieved by a triumphant hypnotist. Not only is that untrue, and contrary to all genuinely expert opinion, but hypnosis can cause serious problems o its own, especially in the hands of a hypnotist with strong beliefs in such causal secrets --- they are likely to find what they are looking for, even if there was no such event in the past --- even without realizing it, they can induce you to "recover" memories of things that acually never happeed, but which enatly match their expectations and theories.
Seeing the dietician is an excellent idea., and seeing a normal psychologist from time to time, useful to --- but without hypnosis. Its not just that it would be a waste of time and money in being unhelpful, but that it could make things significantly worse.