Posted by: Jan | 2009-09-10

replenish muscle/liver glycogen with carbohydrates refer

Subject: RE: post-training maintenance drink/food
Posted by: Jan swanepoel | 9/9/2009
Dear DietDoc
Many thanks for your answer and advice.
I must apologise for the second letter but I didn'  t realise how this column works and so I didn'  t realise that you had already answered.
And thanks to the reader too.
I hear what you are saying about keeping to healthy foods in general, and throughtout the day. However, my workout ends at lunchtime and therefore the question: do I wait before eating ?: In an article in Health24,( when to eat what for a workout, William Smook states "  If you'  re trying to lose weight, don'  t eat for 40minutes after working out. This forces your body to draw upon its fat reserves for sustenance."  And elsewhere I read that I should drink milk immediately after the workout. and so forth.
Therefore the confusion.
I wish that you could refer me to articles re your last sentence ( because that contains key questions/answers : ( how well I replenish (my) muscle and liver glycogen stores by ingesting carbohydrates '  . ( Is there something on this in Health24 ? e.g.)
(Lastly, on a personal note, glad to hear you did the course at the PUKKE.It gives credibility to your claims.(haha)I have fond memories of Potch and the Phys Ed Department.( although my first love was the Teachers'  Training College Yes, I was a POOT.)
Sorry for rambling.
Best wishes and good luck.
Jan S

Dear Jan
How nice to be able to actually hear something personal from a Reader. Glad you liked dear old Ptoch - their Department of Sports Science is world-class. Now that you have filled me in a bit more about your original query it makes better sense. The statement by Smook does not agree with what we were taught at the course in Potch and I stand by my advice - drink something if you are thirsty and use a source of energy and carbs after exercise to top up your glycogen so that you can recover properly. And yes there is additional information for athletes and diet on this site. I have written many articles on the subject of diets for sportsmen and women. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read articles 4, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 46 to obtain answers to your questions. There is also info on the Fitness site. Click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'. The articles on carbs, carbo-loading and protein are probably the mose relevant to your query.
Have a good day