Posted by: Jenny | 2011-12-20

Replacement for energy drink

Hi, I need to get a replacement that is edible for my energy drink. Before an endurance race (run/cycle) I usually drink a booster, but it usually requires 500 - 600ml water. If I drink that amount before a race, my bladder becomes so full, I have to stop 3 to 4 times during a race. It is just so uncomfortable. I do not have a problem drinking liquid during the race, but the energy drink usually takes and hour to kick in, so I can''t really drink it while racing. Do you know of any alternative that will also give me the stamina?

Hi Jenny

Honestly, you don't need to drink that large a volume before a race. In fact, it probably does more harm than good. You should probably stop eating or drinking anything about an hour before a race, and then only start taking in energy once the race has begun and you're exercising. Without going into the details, the reason is that if you eat too soon before exercise starts, you run the risk of becoming hypoglycemic as your body has an amplified response to getting that sugar into your cells.

So my advice is to not drink at all before the race, its counter-productive. Those energy drinks act pretty much immediately, and so if you start by drinking 150ml every 10 to 15 minutes, that's more than enough. And that way, you avoid getting this large volume of fluid into your stomach, which is the other downside.