Posted by: Cindy | 2010-07-28

re:out of town to Rustenburg

Hi doc

In response of your previous feedback, I am going for running. We are arriving the Sunday and starting our running the Monday for the whole week until Friday.

Hi Cindy

Thanks for the follow-up. In this case, the question is what kind of running? Sprinting performance is affected far more than distance running. I'd guess distance running, since the summer athletics season is long gone.

Therefore, you need to maximize the time spent at altitude, and your week should do the trick. Just a word of caution - the first few days at altitude are tough. And this is a stress, and so if you go out and run expecting to do the same as normal, it's very easy to overdo it and end up burned out or overtrained as a result. So I'd sayt hat the Monday to Wednesday should be very light days, and then by the weekend, you should have achieved most of the adaptation that is possible in that time, and hopefully performance will be OK.