Question
Posted by: jay | 2008/07/08

renal stent pain

My husband is in his 60's and had a very painful kidney stone removed and a stent inserted. Once home the pain was so bad he had to be readmitted and put on IV painkillers. After a week the stent was removed and the next few hours were a nightmare as he was in so much pain - and I mean PAIN - he was given another general and another stent inserted. Day one started off well again, just to return to the same cycle of pain, painkillers and short periods of discomfort.
What can I do to help him? He is on buscopan, a morphine painkiller 6 hrly and I put hot pads on the painful area - but I am desperate watching him suffer like this and would really appreciate some help. Oh I did give him some Rescue tablets today in the hope that it would calm him as I notice his BP rises when he is in pain. thanks in anticipation!

Dear Jay
I am so sorry to hear that he is feeling so bad. If he is not allergic to anything or does not have peptic ulcers or other contraindications, try adding an anti-inflammatory like Voltaren 50 mg or Neurofen 400mg twice a day, and you can also add Panado to his morphine pain killer. You are doing all the other things right! Is he drinking lots of water too? You can also give him vit C, vit B complex and magnesium supplements to help dissolve the stones quicker.