Question
Posted by: Jackie | 2012/08/03

removal of uterus

My gaeny has suggested removal of uterus. I am worried will I be able to enjoy/have normal sex after this. Will it effect my sex drive? Does this surgery mean removal of complete female organs/vagina etc. Pl help I am worried ?

A pity your doctor did not explain to you in a proper manner. He can either remove the uterus only or the uterus and ovaries. If he removes the ovaries, you may experience menopausal symptoms after a while (depending on how much oestrogen your body has stored in fat) but it can be corrected with pills. Your uterus however has nothing to do with the physical enjoyment of sex. It will not affect your sex drive negatively. Some women report the opposite - they feel better. They are no longer suffering periods (and all the problems associated with it) or feel tired due to anaemia (iron deficiencies). Pregnancy is no longer a risk. They describe themselves as "sports models".Go on Google and select 'images' and use the keyword "uterus anatomy" to get a better understanding. Deidre SASHA

3
Posted by: sam | 2012/08/07

Hi Jackie, i had the op 7 yrs ago they left my ovaries, it most definately does not destroy your sex life, i have been on HRTs (hormone replacement tablets) the past 3 yrs as my oestrogen levels were very low, it is such a relief not having periods anymore and worrying about falling pregnant.

Reply to sam
Posted by: sam | 2012/08/07

Reply to sam
Posted by: sexologist | 2012/08/03

Reply to sexologist