Question
Posted by: Shana | 2008/07/21

Removal of uterine septum

I'  m under going an hysteroscopy on Thursday to confirm a prelimanary diagnosis from the fertility specialist that I have a septum in my uterus and thus my history of 4 recurrant miscarriages. He is also going to remove the septum in the same operation. How long will it take before I menstruate again. And how long before I can try to conceive? When will I be able to go to work after the operation.?

Dear Shana

All the answers depend on whether the septum is present or not and secondly how large the septum really is. In minor cases ovulation will return within a month and conception may occur shortly after. However in more advance cases, you may best be advised to postpone conception for as least 2 – 3 cycles so as to allow good endometrial healing to occur and also to prevent another miscarriage.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim