Posted by: Kerina | 2009-07-13

Removal of Tonsils

My 3.5 year old son has been advised to have his tonsils removed. I do not doubt the decision of the specialist as I believe this procedure will help my son to sleep better as well as thrive.
My concern is the financial aspect of this op. We do belong to a Medical Aid Fund, but the ENT Specialist that will perform this surgery is contracted out of Medical Rates. My medical will pay a portion of this, but we will be sitting with a bill of R4000 for us to fit.
Are there ENT Specialists within Jhb that are contracted in Medical Aid? If not, please advise where I would be able to find a list.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Kerina

All doctors charge different rates for procedures. There is unfortunately no list that states what the different doctors charge. The only way to determine the rates is to phone the surgeons in your area and ask them their rate.

Good luck.