Question
Posted by: peanut | 2008/10/21

removal of blackheads

hi
please can you advise me on the best treatment options to remove blackheads??
im 28 but have had them for as long as i can remember and they are very bad on my nose and chin.
i go for regular facials but they are stubborn.
would microdermabrasion get rid of them or what other facial treatment/ over the counter remedy could you suggest.
would appreciate your help
thanks

Dear Peanut
Blackheads are blocked oil glands. The oil in the opening react to oxygen in the air, turn black and are then noticable. You can extract these oil plugs by going for treatment at beauty salons, but it won't change the oil gland opening. You could try using medication first before going to drastic measures like micro-abrasion. See http://dermatology.about.com/cs/acnecomedones/a/comedones.htm
Ask your doctor about topical antibiotics and benzoyl peroxide