Question
Posted by: what | 2011-11-20

remeron

Have u used remeron in your practice for panic disorder, have there been any clinical trials for this indication, my doc says it doesnt affect seratonin but according to the literature it does, both seratonin and norepinephrine and on Wikipedia says it cannot induce seratonin syndrome, but other places on the WWW says it can, so what is true?

Remeron ( chemical name Mirtazepine ) certainly does act on the serotonin system, in a fairly complex manner, as you'll find if you check it online. It increases serotoninergic AND noradrenergic transmission.
Whether it can ( like many other Ads do, rarely ) CAUSE the serotonin syndrome is still controversial. When an effect is rare, it takes many many people to use a drug before there are enough examples to make a useful judgement on some rare issues. Some have even, I see, suggested using it to TREAT serotonin syndrome, though i wouldn't think of trying that.
I haven't used it to treat panic disorder, especially as there are so many other drugs that have been shown to be useful there, as well as CBT-style psychotherapy

1