Question
Posted by: Emma | 2010-05-25

Remeron

Dear CS

I hope you are well. I have not been on your site for a long time so I am a little out of touch.

I am taking 7,5mg Remeron for about 18 months now and I would not like to be without it. I suffer from GAD. Although life if fairly good at the moment, I do still get depressive moods, especially in the mornings when I need to go to work. The traffic and the 8 hours in the office is just no fun at all. On the other hand I need to work to suport myself. I feel I am stuck in such a rut and don''t know how to get out.

Is this all life has to offer at the age of 54, draging myself through everyday whithout any enjoyment what so ever? My salary only just gets me through the month, so there is no money for extra outings or holidays away.

I know I could increase Remeron to 15mg and I have tried to do so - it just makes me too tired and I am scared of putting on even more weight plus it would also cost more each month.
Counselling sessions are also not an option as I don''t have the spare money. (My medical aid saving is already used up for this year).

I know I should be grateful for what I have in life and I try so hard to be content and happy, but I hate my life and don''t know how to make it better!

I am sorry this post is so long.
Thank you,
Emma.

Your questions reminds us of why, though AD and other drugs can be very helpful, I don't think any treatment is sufficient without proper counselling, usually of the CBT form, to deal with the rest of the problem - and it works brilliantly for GAD and depression. Check with SADAG ( number on this page ) to see if there's a suypport group within reach. And sit down and think, not so much about the current lack of enjoyment in your life, but about what you actually do enjoy, and how to do more of that, free or cheaply. Think about what aspects there are which you say you hate about your present way of life, and whether they could be avoided or modified

1