Question
Posted by: Just wondering | 2009-03-13

Remeron

I just have some queries regarding Remeron. I' ve only been on it for one and have already gained 2kgs (which migh not sound bad but I' m only 157 cm tall). Could you please tell me:

- Can this med make one gain weight even if you eat and exercise the same amount as before you took it?

-How does it cause the weight gain - does it slow your metabolism?

-Anyone out there taking it that did not gain weight on it? Seems everyone gains and not just a little.

Thanks.

Yes. Most antidepressants can make it easier for SOME of the people who take it, to gain weight. This doesn't seem to be by simply slowing metabolism. Remeron is not as likely to cause this as some other ADs.

2
Posted by: Emma | 2009-03-16

Hi there,

Yes it does make one gain weight. I have been on Remeron for 4 months now. My weight has stayed stable because I now no longer comfort eat they way I did before Rememron. I have also started excercing, something I also did not do before Remeron. So all in all remeron has improved my quality of life all round.

If you are careful of what you eat then your weight could remain stable while on Remeron. For me remeron is the best AD ever!!

Reply to Emma
Posted by: scorpio | 2009-03-13

Hi. I have been on it for 2 years and am the same as before, even better!!! It is 1 of the antidepressants that is not supposed to cause weight gain!

Reply to scorpio