Posted by: Emma | 2008-12-05

I have been on Remeron for 3 weeks now and I feel I am doing well so far. Can Remeron be taken long term for depression and anxiety? Weight gain is the main side effect.

Yes it can ; and ANY antidepressant, taken for any real Depression, should be taken for at least 6 to 9 months, and only stopped onn the advice of the prrscribing shrink, and perhaps with a gradual reduction as advised, rather than a suddetn stoppage. Weight gain is possible, but not compulsory, and slightly upping your exercise and watching your diet, may make that a non-problem

Posted by: Emma | 2008-12-08

Hi Kay,

Yes I am feeling good on Remeron. I have put on 1kg in 3 weeks, this in addition to middle age spread...... I tried a few other ADs before this. So now it seems I will be fat but happy!! The thing is I was eating a lot before Remeron as I thought I had low blood sugar (I oftern had the shakes). Meanwhile it was extreme anxeity that was causing this effect! Anyhow I am seeing the shrink on Wednesday and I will mention the weight gain.....
Thanks for your feedback.

Reply to Emma
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008-12-06

I found Remeron a great anti-depressant (was taking it in conjunction with Efexor) - but I did put on lots of weight with it. So if you see the kilo' s starting to pile on, try not to eat and eat, which is what I did... eat, I mean. :)

Reply to Kay in Gtown